Friday, March 26, 2010

the new olds



We had a nice little shindig this past weekend to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. We had a real nice time, all the usual suspects came out to eat delicious cupcakes, my dear Marisa made them- (insanely yummy ginger bread citrus cake with creamy icing) and tell stories about my mom and her 60 years of life. She is the center of my inspiration- the woman can and will do anything. As a young girl she battled cancer and had to undergo an amputation of her left leg to prevent the disease from spreading. This did not stop her from roller skating with the other 12 year old girls (this was 1962). She went on to become a nurse and later she founded the non-profit Amputee Coalition of America (ACA). Between lobbying congress as an advocate for people with disabilities, speaking all over the world, and founding support groups, my mother also raised my brother and I to be compassionate and pro-active. I was never told that I could not achieve things, and I grew up with a sense of community and can-do-ditude that I can only contribute to my mother and her ever-forward-moving ambition to help others. Did I mention she is the one who taught me how to sew?? I raise my glass to her as she turns 60.









Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment